Friday, March 14, 2008

Week 2




Hello! It's hard to believe that I've been here almost a week and a half! The time is flying by. I have been staying very busy at Amani Baby Cottage...I'm volunteering there every morning, and I usually hang out and play with the kids in the afternoon as well. They are all so fun to be around. Some of the other volunteers and I took 4 or 5 kids swimming yesterday, which was so much fun! The picture is of Nathaniel, one of the boys...both of the pictures look kind of dark, sorry!
I was able to go to the village of Walukaba last weekend and buy a bunch of necklaces from the Suubi women. It was so great to get to meet them, and I'm so excited to interact with them more over the next couple months. A new Suubi volunteer, Rachael, is arriving today, so I am hoping that we will be able to spend several days in the village with these women visiting their homes and learning about their lives! A few of us are starting to put together an English program for the women, which I'm excited about. They all came from northen Uganda, so they speak Lulal as opposed to Luganda and/or English, which are the languages spoken in this area. I will definitely keep you updated on how things are going with that!

Renee took me to the hospital a few days ago...that was pretty interesting. We took some food to the patients in the maternity ward (which is what the picture is of) and the accident ward. Since it is a government run hospital, the patients must bring their own sheets, clothes, food, etc. Such a difference from hospitals at home where the patient's every need is met! There is virtually no privacy, with the exception of the women about to have their babies. We were able to go into the room where they keep the premature babies, and it was so sad. There were crates (my first thought was, "These look like something chickens would be transported in") that the babies were lying in, and there were definitely not any of the fancy incubators or monitors for them to use! It was pretty unbelieveable.
That makes it sound like this is a really sad place, but all of the Ugandans that I've met are so incredibly happy and hopeful, that I feel gulity for feeilng sorry for them! Many are very curious about America and what it is like, so it's kind of fun to tell them and see their reactions.

I hope you are all doing well, and I'll write again soon!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like you're having some great time there so far. Nathaniel is a little cutie!

Even though I know that's how it is in hospitals there, I'm still amazed by your hospital visit. I looked up Uganda's WHO (2000) health system ranking, 149th. Wow. Of course, the US is 37th, so we clearly don't have the answers either.

Keep up the good work! (and the blogs- and I'll likely maintain my nerdy first blogger commenter status)

Josh Rottman said...

Wow! I can't believe how much you've already experienced there. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs.

I love that picture of Nathaniel, by the way!

ashley wiseman said...

Wow Court! It sounds really cool! I wish that I could come visit you:) I miss you tons and love you bunches!!! If you can you should email me pics so I can show Amy!

Devan says hi and he hopes you are having fun!!

Love you!!!
-Osh

MK said...

Liz and I were in Z'hills for lunch Saturday and naturally a lot of the conversation was about your adventures. You are probably going to be reluctant to leave. Tell us some about the climate and how it affects daily living.