Saturday, March 8, 2008

I made it!

So, after two 8 hour plane rides, a 9 hour layover/whirlwind tour of London, and a death-defying drive from the airport in Entebbe to our house in Jinja (there are about 5 times too many people on the road...it's crazy), I arrived at my home for the next 2 months! At the moment, I'm living with 3 other girls in a VERY nice house. The girls are all awesome, and have made me feel very much at home. They have been very patient the last few days as I have been tagging along with them everywhere they go, and have been so nice to show me all over town. Jinja is actually a fairly modern/large town. There are quite a few resturaunts, shops, grocery stores, and internet cafes all along main street.
The past few days, I've been going to Amani Baby Cottage, which is one of the orphanages in town. It has been great, and I love being able to spend most of every day playing with all the kids. I think I'm going to try and stay involved there, and possibly at another orphanage, as well as working with the Suubi project. Within the next week or so, I am going to start working with another volunteer on organizing an English program for the Suubi women. These women live in a village outside of Jinja, and I will be going there to buy necklaces from them on Sunday. I'm very excited to see the village and to get to know the women.
The past few days have been amazing, and I can't wait to learn more about this great place and the amazing people that live here!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Glad you made it there safely. I'm so excited for all the experiences you're going to have there and that you're going to blog about them!

You earned some warm weather time after all that snow. But wear sunscreen :P Take care.

ps- Tessa completely rolled herself in the Norman-fur-covered dirty ski trip laundry. I think she likes him!

Dunia said...

Stanky!!! I am so happy for you...keep up the blogging and let us know exactly what you'll be doing and stuff!!

Joanne from dog class said...

Hey Courtney, glad you made it safe and sound. I can't wait to hear of your adventures. I hope you are keeping a diary! Be safe!

Joanne from dog class said...

Hey Courtney So glad you are there safe and sound. Can't wait to read all about your adventures. I hope you are keeping a diary.

MK said...

Such excitement you are giving all of us! Can't wait for the next update! Send pictures!
Mitzi